Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update #10, Back to Surgery

Before now I never thought I would be a blogger, and now here I am blogging at 2am.
Yesterday morning they decided to give her a blood transfusion because her hemoglobin levels were low. Seemed to respond really well to that, her heart rate went down and she slept better then she had in a while. That didn't last too long. Around noon the pain and swelling got worse and her heart rate went back up. I realized there was reason to be concerned when around 9pm her room was full of people wearing suits talking about what we needed to do next. There was concern that a hematoma (blood clot) was causing strain on the anastomosis (connection), and if that was the case it could result in junk leaking out and a really bad situation. They decided to be proactive and go back in and fix it up. The plan was to disconnect the large and small intestine and do a ileostomy (colostomy bag) allowing her to eat and get more nutrients and heal faster, then later go back and reconnect the bowels. Surgery started at around 11:30pm. The surgeon came in at 1:30am to tell us the results. He said all he found was that the connection from the last surgery had a small defect that was only detectable when he squeezed it. It hadn't leaked yet but when squeezed stuff was able to come out. After removing the hematoma and seeing what he had to work with, he felt good about not doing the ileostomy. He said the large and small intestine were still in good condition, so he decided to just stitch it up the old fashion way. They normally use a contraption that staples it all together. Hopefully now she will be in less pain and will be able to heal normally.... Hurray for no colostomy bag! We should be able to go see her soon. So much for the laproscopy though.... they had to open her up for this one.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,

Cindy and I are truly sorry to hear that you were blogging at 2:00am. We have been following Susan's progress through your updates and praying for all of you all along. It is good news that they found the cause of the problem and have addressed it. Now we pray for active bowel sounds as they will be "music to your ears." May you all be blessed with peace, comfort and health.

Amber said...

Tell Susan sorry she had to go through another surgery but hurray for no bag! Although I am thinking that being able to eat normal food was probably sounding pretty good. Stay strong and we are thinking about you lots today!

Jen said...

Hey Justin-
My name is Jen, I am Kempe's niece.
I was visiting with them last weekend and he told me Susan's situation.
I wanted to wish you guys the best & know that you both will be in our prayers:)

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

I am so bummed that surgery didn't go the way we had hoped but glad that Dr found the problem. Hopefully now she can get her strength back and heal quicker. Thanks for blogging Justin, A+++ for all the updates you have done, it helps so much to know what is going on so we know what to pray for. Send her our love!!!

Gail said...

Justin,
Thank you for taking the time to keep us up to date on Susan. Our hopes and prayers are that this was a temporary setback, and now the healing can begin.

Tell Susan that Ann Marie is participating in two Undy 5000s for her. One in Dallas this weekend and she is coming on November 15 to join us for this one also!

Lots of Love,
Gail and Kent

thearringtonclan said...

Hi Susan..
Mathew says he feels for you and hopes the pain from the op goes away in a couple of days.. NOOOOOOOOOO stretching! No bag hey? GREAT !!!!!!!! just lay back and heal will you? Thank you Justin for the updates.. the second I got up I checked the blog.
You are BOTH in our Prayers.. It WILL get better.....

Adam and Jessica Cooley said...

We still pray for you Susan and love you! I know all about waiting for "gas to pass" so I hope it happens soon!!! (and scars are supposed to be sexy right-that's what I tell myself!)

Cabra Forte said...

Justin, you don't know me, but I'm just really glad you are posting these updates I'm glad to hear that even though things aren't going exactly to plan, that things are working out well. We're praying for you guys.

anna said...

Susan,

You sure are making those doctors earn their paychecks these days! I'm so sorry the initial surgery plan didn't go as hoped. Though I'm glad they got a good look at your whole system and think it looks good to recover. So hopefully now you can focus on recovering--- and of course working toward those all important farts!!
Great job with the updates Justin! I hope both of you are able to get some much needed rest in the next few days.

Anna

Amy said...

You are all troopers, hang in there!

Unknown said...

Hopefully the love of some many people continues to help sustain you and your family :D
I am glad to hear that she has such a wonderful medical team to take care of her!

Our Family said...

You guys are in our prayers. We hope you can both get rest, and that Susan will be able to heal correctly now. We love you guys and are thinking of you!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the updates Justin! We really appreciate it. Susan, hope you are feeling better VERY VERY soon!!!
Love Always,
Heidi ;)

Carol F. said...

You do not know me, but I am friends with many of the Mortensen family and used to work for Bruce. Lisa is the one who pointed me to your blog a while back. I just wanted you to know that I am praying for Susan and her healing. Sounds like she is in good hands with the medical team. I will continue to add my prayers to everyone else's!

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear they got to the bottom of it. Stay STRONG! We here in St. Louis are thinking of you all. -Kadi J

Los Peña said...

Justin, I think its wonderful that you are keeping everyone posted, I know Susan would be proud of your blogging skills. You two are in our prayers, Susan and you are truly an inspiration. Hang in there! Love Jose and Gabby

Mark's Siblings said...

I'm thinking about you guys! You both are champions! Thank you for your generosity in remembering Mark and the Foundation! I miss you, Suz!! Love, Suz

Pepper Lovin! said...

Hang in there Justin! I know you guys are doing well. We are praying for you!

Rach

thearringtonclan said...

Hi guys.. I think I've signed in 50 times today to see an update...
How is Susan doing??? Great we hope...
Maxine and Mathew